Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How to Write About Africa

This humorous and insightful article from Granta Magazine points out some of the stereotypes commonly portrayed in writing about Africa.
I find that these stereotypes, so commonly in movies and books, have really formed the way my friends and myself think about Africa, just from the comments I get and discussions I have about working in Ghana this summer.
My favourite part of the article:
Animals, on the other hand, must be treated as well rounded, complex characters. They speak (or grunt while tossing their manes proudly) and have names, ambitions and desires. They also have family values: see how lions teach their children? Elephants are caring, and are good feminists or dignified patriarchs. So are gorillas. Never, ever say anything negative about an elephant or a gorilla. Elephants may attack people’s property, destroy their crops, and even kill them. Always take the side of the elephant.
I think that a lot of people, including myself, know more about wildlife in Africa than people in Africa. Though, we assume that wildlife in homogenous across the whole continent. People seem disappointed when I tell them there aren't elephants in Takoradi. Elephants are often portrayed as majestic and intelligent, where as people are often portrayed as passive and starving. 
From just a quick Google image search...
vs. 

Anyways, my point in sharing this article is to remind my readers of these issues, but also to remind myself not to adopt these stereotypes when writing my blog this summer. 

More about my project and what I'll be doing in Takoradi soon!

Countdown: 42 days

Keep Smiling!

2 comments:

  1. The how to write about africa article was made into a video short. It's even more powerful in this form in my opinion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDWlMX2ToSc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it really is. Thanks Lyndsay. :)

    ReplyDelete