Friday, June 24, 2011

You can call me Caro!

Hello again,
Well, another Friday is here and I have had an interesting week at Friends of the Nation.  The week was a little slow to get started, with the office electricity out and missing staff stunting how work could be done. Sara and I were able to attend some meetings, and learn more about the FoN partnership with CHF, with whom they implement projects in the Ngyeresia region I wrote about a couple of blog posts ago. Sara has started work at a health clinic in a neighbouring town called Shama, doing some nursing and finding ways to implement FoN’s Population, Health, Environment (PHE) Project, which is about how population and family planning effects the strain on natural resources. PHE is so important in Takoradi and surrounding coastal communities because of the high demand on fish, which are depleting very quickly. As for myself, I am currently writing a proposal about the next steps to take in Ngyeresia. I described the situation in Ngyeresia two blogs ago if you’re interested. In 2009, FoN and CHF implemented a project there called SCALE-UP which, among many other things, built toilets, a new water kiosk, and did much awareness and community capacity building (committees, volunteers, etc.) to help improve situations. I have been looking at this project and seeing where the shortcomings have been. We started last week by interviewing community members about the success of the new toilets, and I am now discovering some other gaps in the goals of the projects. The proposal is taking some time, because I have decided to go back into the community to do some interviewing about the success water kiosk, and do some research on waste management practices. The waste management part of the original project was scrapped, because the topography is so rough that collecting household waste door-to-door is impossible for a vehicle or cart. The problem seems impossible to overcome, but I’m looking forward to doing some research and learning more.
It’s rainy season here in Ghana, and it rains every day or two. When it comes to rain here, it’s go big or go home! Either heavy downpours or sunny skies. The infrastructure can’t always support the heavy rainfall. I have become accustomed to walking in water up to my ankles during the rain. Most of the roads are dirt and have no drains, so it gets messy! It’s very refreshing walking through cold water on a hot day, and the rain cools things down a bit. Yesterday morning rains were very heavy, so I followed Sally from the office around the city to see how the rains affect the city. Nearby they have built a school in a wetland, so it experiences annual flooding in and around the building. Unfortunately, it’s a technical school, so there are many computers and electronics which must be moved to avoid being damaged. The furniture must suffer hugely though. Sally took photos and I watched students going in and out of the school in water up to their knees. As Sally says, “who builds a school in a wetland in the first place?” Wetlands are such sensitive ecosystems, and neither the wetland nor the school have survived!
Next week I am heading to Jomoro for a few days, which is the most Western region of Ghana, bordering the Ivory Coast. I am going with Kwesi and a team from another NGO to take data on fishing communities. I don’t know much more specific than that; Kwesi said “we will be taking data on everything.” I assume he means both environmental fishing aspects as well as the effects on the communities- poverty, sanitation, etc. I am learning here to not expect the same amount of preparation as I would with a job at home. It’s a very ‘go with the flow’ mentality.
Sara and I got to try another local dish here, Banku. Banku is similar to Fufu in that it is a ball of dough immersed in soup. However, the soup is stew, and tastes strongly of something sort of like vinegar and is thick with fish, and the dough is made from corn, not cassava, and also is strong in taste. I didn’t enjoy it, the flavours were overpowering and totally foreign to me. I ate as much as I could, but told Hilda I prefer Fufu. (I LOVE Fufu!)
I have yet to try a coconut, but I have made eating mango, pineapple, watermelon or banana a daily routine. I also enjoy red fish, which Hilda or Emmanuel often makes us for dinner. A past vegetarian, I have surprisingly become very adequate at tearing chicken and fish meat off the bone. It is very common to eat goat here as well, and although I’m unsure that I’ve had it, Sara and I have had a few mysterious meats served to us…
Emmanuel is Hilda’s brother, whom Sara and I adore. We call him “Mr. Mom” because he is always cooking, cleaning, and ironing for us. He also is a regular attendee of Bible Study and Choir and has a beautiful singing voice. He has very much become our father figure at our host family.
Sara and I have also begun to walk in the community surrounding the office on our breaks. As per usual, the people are welcoming, chatty, and generous and we’ve made a few friends on our daily walks. I have yet to befriend a baby goat. Hmm.
Another shop name for the list: God is One teashop!
This weekend the rest of Team Ghana in Accra is coming to visit, and our brother George is apparently taking us to Karaoke tonight. We’re excited to spend some more time in Market Circle, which is a bustling and exciting place, and perhaps dip in the ocean again.
One last note, Caroline is a fairly common name here, but is always shortened to Caro! There’s even another Caro at FoN. I have adopted this easily, and am even introducing myself that way sometimes.
Until next time!
Caro 

No comments:

Post a Comment